Trefor is a small village on the north coast of the Llyn peninsula in Gwynedd, North Wales. Poulation 1,480.
Located just off the main A499 road, Trefor has a small harbour and a beach with some sand. At the top of the beach is an emergency telephone to summon help in the event of a maritime emergency. The land behind the beach is made of boulder clay deposited during the last glaciation, which is being slowly eroded by the sea.
Rising steepy behind the village is Yr Eifl and its neighbouring hills. A granite quarry, Trefor granite quarry or the Yr Eifl quarry opened there in 1850. The industrial narrow gauge railway Trefor Quarry railway opened in 1865 and brought rock from the quarry to the coast, but was gradually replaced by road transport and was finally closed in 1960. Trefor granite is used to make curling rocks. There is one school in Trefor, a primary school called Ysgol yr Eifl.
Yr Eifl is a range of three tall hills that dominate the skyline above Trefor. Tre'r Ceiri, the second highest of the hills has on one the best examples of a stone age settlement on its summit in Europe. Views from the summits, on a clear day, extend to Ireland, the entirety of Cardigan Bay, Anglesey, Snowdonia and even the northern mountains of England! The centre peak, and tallest at 564 metres is called Garn Ganol and the most seaward, and smallest peak is Garn For which is home to the quarry.
There is a football club in Trefor, which was re-established in the 2000-01 season. It has won one cup in its history, in the 2001-02 season. Its current manager is Rhys Gethin, assisted by Sion Aled, its club captain is Terry Oglvy.
There is also a members club in the village, 'Clwb Y Twr', which have pool.darts teams, its open everynight and reguarlly hosts entertaiment
You can surf the otherside of the harbour wall at Trefor. It can be a nice left hand point over a stoney reef thrown off the headland. It holds up well in a southerly wind when the swell wraps around the point.