Wormit, by the old railway station
Wormit is a small town located on the banks of the Firth of Tay in north east Fife, Scotland. It is most famous for its railway station (dismantled and rebuilt at Bo'ness) at the southern end of the Tay Rail Bridge and claims to be the first Scottish village to have installed electricity.
The town expanded and grew into a commuter suburb of Dundee after the rail bridge opened in 1887 as the more wealthy Dundonians built their residences in Wormit.
Together with Woodhaven and Newport-on-Tay, Wormit is a part of The Burgh of Newport-on-Tay.
During the Second World War, King Haakon VII of Norway stayed in Wormit, in a house along Riverside Road. During this time his soldiers painted a sea motif for the king on the walls of the bathroom, and the motif is still present in the house. Norwegian ships were docked at Woodhaven, and a Norwegian flag is still flown in the harbour.
Though small, Wormit has a lot of amenities which serve a wider area. It has its own primary school, Church of Scotland, blacksmith, garage, post office, hair dresser, general merchandise shop and also tennis, bowling and boating clubs.
The local police station, which covers both Wormit and Newport, is also situated just inside Wormit.