Ketton is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is located about eight miles east of Oakham and three miles west of Stamford in Lincolnshire. In 2001 it had a population of 1,725, making it the fourth largest settlement in Rutland, after Oakham, Uppingham and Cottesmore. It was originally three separate villages: Ketton, Aldgate and Geeston; but as they grew they merged to form the village that Ketton is today.
The village gives its name to Ketton Stone, a limestone which is quarried locally and is used in many buildings in the village and elsewhere. Some areas of former quarrying are now a Site of Special Scientific Interest, maintained by Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust.
The limestone is used in the production of Castle Cement (now part of HeidelbergCement). Ketton Portland Cement opened in 1928 and by November the number on the payroll had risen to 250. The plant meets more than 10% of the UK demand for cement.
Facilities in the village include a post office and general store, a library, two pubs (the Railway Inn and the Northwick Arms), two social clubs (Ketton Club and the Sports Club) and a Church of England primary school.
Ketton ward, which also includes the parishes of Barrowden, Tinwell and Tixover has two councillors on Rutland County Council.
Ketton gave its name to the Ketton Rural District of Rutland which existed from 1894 to 1974.
A significant feature of Ketton is the wonderful parish Church of St Mary's which is over 800 years old.
Robert of Ketton was the first person to translate the Qur'an into Latin. The translation was complete by 1143.
 External links
Coordinates: 52°37'39?N, 0°33'03?W