Coordinates: 53°04'N 1°18'W? / ?53.07, -1.3
Selston is a hilltop village and civil parish in West Nottinghamshire. At the time of the 2001 census it had a population of 12,208 The parish church of St Helen dates back to 1150 AD although the exterior of the church was altered by restoration and enlargement in 1899 . An older Saxon church is thought to have occupied the site, and there is a monolith in the church yard, which may have been of ceremonial importance for pre-Christian pagans. The village is part of Nottinghamshire's Hidden Valleys area.
Selston is bounded by Underwood to the South, Annesley to the East, and the Derbyshire border to the West.
The local five-a-side football pitch, on the site of the Leisure Centre, was opened by Nottingham Forest legends, Stuart Pearce and Colin Cooper.
Since the year 2000 new housing estates have been built in Selston by companies such as Barrett. Several of the estates have been left unfinished due to a lack of customers. The last trace of the Holland Family, responsible for the building of Matthew Holland School in Selston, was removed when David Holland, great grandson of Matthew, sold his greengrocer's shop. It was demolished in 2005.
In 2006 the Matthew Holland School, having become a specialist school with Visual Arts status, changed its name to the Selston Arts and Community College, though remaining a comprehensive school.