Trevellas is a small hamlet situated between St Agnes and Perranporth in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. Trevellas had a post office and village shop up until the mid eighties when it was closed and is now divided into two dwellings. The shop was owned by Mrs Menadue and was known as Menadue drapers and store. It was famed for its ginger beer. Until the late '90s Trevellas also boasted a garage and petrol filling station known as Lewis' Garage. Since 2000 the site has been occupied by a thriving camping and caravaning centre called Aztec Leisure.
Trevellas was partially developed in the second world war with the formation of the airfield. The land was supposed to be handed back to the local residents at the end of the war but fell in to disrepair until the purchase as a private airfield. Despite the area being an SSSI and English Heritage listed site, the current airfield owners continue to develop the site against the wishes of local residents and tourists.
There are many scenic cliff path walks around the area, static caravan sites for staying in and walks in Woodland Trust wooded areas. The area towards Trevellas Porth is known as "blue hills" due to bluish in-ground slate. Trevellas valley has been a site for tin mining for several centuries, and in 1810 the Blue Hills Sett incorporated many of the small mines. Though Blue Hills closed in 1897, tin production has continued in Trevellas to the present and the Blue Hills works can be visited throughout the year.
Trevellas is first recorded in 1302, and was for several generations the seat of the Trevelles Family. The estate then passed through the families of Kearne, Croker, St. Aubyn, Donnithorne and finally the Chilcots. In Magna Britannia it states the following:
||Treuellis or Trevellis, a tenement in the manor of Tywarnhaile, was for several descents the seat of the family of Crocker; it belonged afterwards to Mr. Joseph Donnithorne, and is now the property of Mr. Chilcot. The mansion is occupied as a farm-house.
The estate was broken up in several sales, the final one being in 1948.