Ibstone (previously Ipstone) is a village in Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the Chiltern Hills on the border with Oxfordshire, about two miles south of Stokenchurch.
The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin and means 'Hibba's boundary stone', referring to the boundary with Oxfordshire. At the time of King Edward the Confessor the village was in the possession of Tovi, thane of the king, and was called Hibestanes.
The manor house of the village is remarkable because the boundary between the two counties runs straight through the middle of its parlour.
The parish church, dedicated to Saint Nicholas, stands separate from the rest of the village; this is a common occurrence in places in this part of the country that had some standing in the pre-Roman Celtic period.
The village includes Cobstone Windmill. The windmill was built around 1816 and is unusual in that it is a twelve-sided smock mill, still housing some of its original machinery. It was converted into a residency during the 1950s and then refurbished after 1971. It was also used as Caractacus Potts' workshop in the 1968 film, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and seen in The New Avengers (TV series) episode, The House of Cards.
The politician Barbara Castle lived in the village.
 External links
Coordinates: 51°37'N, 0°54'W