The main road through Sonning is the B478, running from the Bridge to the Charvil roundabout on the A4. The B4446 runs north from the A4 to the village. The A4 itself passes through the south of the parish, as does the main Reading to Paddington railway line, though there is no station. On the Thames, there are moorings at Sonning, both above and below the lock, as well as in the weir stream.
 Local government
Sonning is a civil parish with an elected parish council of eight councillors. It falls within the area of the unitary authority of Wokingham. Both the parish council and the unitary authority are responsible for different aspects of local government.
Sonning is twinned with Ligugé, France. The village has an active Twinning Association and the lane to the village primary school is called Ligugé Way.
Print of Sonning Bridge (1799) with the tower of St Andrew's Church, Sonning, in the background.
The historical name of the village is Sunning, derived from the name of the Saxon Sunna. Older, more traditional villagers still pronounce the name of the village in this way and the spelling can be found on old maps and documents. In Saxon times, the village was of considerable importance as the lesser centre of the bishopric of Ramsbury, sometimes called the see of Ramsbury and Sonning. The church was a secondary cathedral and the present structure contains re-used Saxon carvings.
Sonning prospered as an important stopping post for travellers, both by road and by boat. There were a number of ancient hostelries where they could have stayed, notably the Great House on the site of the original ferryman's cottage. The Bull Inn had the added bonus of being near the church where pilgrims could worship a relic of Saint Cyriacus. The Bishops of Salisbury succeeded those of Ramsbury and Sonning and had a Bishop's Palace in the village until the 16th century. King Richard II's young bride, Queen Isabella of Valois, was kept captive there during his imprisonment and deposition.
The Great Western Railway passes about half a mile south of the village, in a two mile long cutting, Sonning Cutting. It was opened in 1840, and was the scene of one of the first railway disasters in 1841, when a goods train ran into a landslip. Nine passengers died in the accident, being thrown from the open trucks just behind the engine. Many were stone masons working on the Houses of Parliament, and the disaster led to changes in the Railways Act, which required that third-class passengers be carried in stoutly constructed carriages rather than open trucks. The Act also created Parliamentary trains for third-class passengers.
Just outside the village, above the lock, is the independent secondary school, Reading Blue Coat School, in the 19th century manor house, Holme Park. Built in the 'Home Park' of the old palace, it replaced a georgian mansion erected for the Lords of the Manor who eventually superseded the bishops. The first of these was Laurence Halstead, partner to the great Reading cloth merchant, John Kendrick. In the early 20th century, a second country house was built in the village, the Deanery. It provides a fine example of an Edwin Lutyens house with a Gertrude Jekyll garden, originally designed as a show house for the founder of Country Life magazine.
 Notable village residents
Notable former and current village inhabitants include:
- The Bishops of Ramsbury & Sonning, including SS Oda the Severe and Bertwald of Ramsbury
- The Bishops of Salisbury
- General Eisenhower, before D-Day
- Anthony Farindon, 17th century Royalist preacher
- Isabella of Valois, Queen of Richard II of England
- Uri Geller, the illusionist
- Laurence Halstead, 17th century cloth merchant and partner of philanthropist, John Kendrick
- William Holman Hunt, the Pre-Raphaelite artist, in his later life at The Acre
- Ric Lee, drummer for the 1970s group Ten Years After
- Jon Lord, composer and founder member of the 1970s group Deep Purple 
- Right Honourable Theresa May, the local MP
- Jimmy Page, lead guitarist of the rock group Led Zeppelin 
- Sir Terence Rattigan, dramatist, briefly at The Red House during 1945–47 — there is a blue plaque
- Sir Thomas Rich, 17th century merchant, money-lender to the King and benefactor to both Sonning and Gloucester.
- Dick Turpin, reputedly, at his aunt's house, now called Turpins
- Admiral Villeneuve, subsequent to his defeat at the Battle of Trafalgar
- Robert Wright, 17th century Bishop of Lichfield & Coventry & Vicar of Sonning
The following recipients of the Victoria Cross are buried in the churchyard of St Andrew's Church:
 Sport and leisure
Sonning has a King George's Field in memorial to King George V, where Sonning Cricket Club plays. There are playing fields between Sonning and the main A4 road, including hockey and rugby fields.
Sonning Hockey Club, Reading Hockey Club, Reading R.F.C., and Berkshire Shire Hall R.F.C. can all be found on Sonning Lane. Sonning Hockey Club was the first club in the county of Berkshire to be awarded Club 1st National Hockey Accreditation for junior coaching and development. Sonning Hockey Club also has squash courts and tennis courts.
Redingensians R.F.C. is nearby, off the Old Bath Road. Sonning Golf Club is on the other side of the A4 road.
Sonning Regatta restarted in 2000 and is held every two years just upstream from Sonning Lock. There is sailing and waterskiing on the Caversham Lakes across the river and the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake has recently be created there as well.
Sonning Parish Magazine, established in 1869, serves Sonning and the neighbouring village of Charvil, and the Sonning Village Show is held every September at the village primary school.
 See also
 External links
Coordinates: 51.47341° N 0.91146° W